- Attendance at a California high school for three or more years
- Graduation from a California high school or equivalent
- An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he/she has filed an application to legalize his/her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he/she is eligible to do so.
- Students who are non-immigrants [i.e. F-visas (student) B-visas (visitor) etc]. are not eligible.
- AB 540 does not provide student financial aid eligibility for undocumented students. These students remain ineligible for state and federal financial aid.
AB540 Fee Waiver for Non-California Residents Who Are California High School Graduates
In some cases, students who meet certain criteria may be exempt from paying non-resident tuition at the California community colleges, the California State University and the University of California. The requirements include:
Additional requirements and information may be found in English or Spanish from the Mexican American Legal Defense ad Education Fund.
Students who qualify for the AB540 tuition exemption must complete and can e-mail the affidavit paperwork (doc) to the appropriate Residency Specialist, as specified below. If you are a transfer student, please attach a copy of your high school transcript.
Students may also fax their affidavit to (909) 537-7034 or mail to:
Califronia State University, San Bernardino
Office of Admissions and Student Recruitment
5500 University Pkwy.
San Bernardino, CA 92407